Wrote this on my flight home from Phoenix to Chicago from the 2015 Lifestyle Medicine Summit..... It was an amazing program and I was so excited to share with you a few of the biggest take-aways from the emerging research :
1. Our chronological age (number of years we have been alive) is not the same as our biological age (how old our cells and organ are). The average person (both male and female) has a heart that's eight years older than our chronological age!
How can we mitigate the effects and premature aging ? Two significant factors are mitigating inflammation and protecting against nutrient depletion. To read more about aging, click here. (Dr. John Troup - "Healthy Aging: New Science")
2. We know what the primary causes of inflammation are (our diet). We know how to stop it. But are we actually RESOLVING it ?
New published research (on both animals and humans / in conjunction with major research universities) is foreseeing that our understanding of inflammation is about to change! Specialized Pro-Resolvin Mediators (at the deepest parts of our immune system) are able to resolve & repair inflammation in the body. Fish Oils are powerful to stop inflammation, but a derivative of this offers the SPMs. (Dr. Charles Serhan - "Pro-Resolving Mediators in the Resolution of Inflammation and Tissue Regeneration")
3. The current conventional understanding of Alzheimer's Disease is that it's incurable. 243 of the 244 drug trials for this condition were considered FAILURES. And people who begin to exhibit early signs of memory issues often don't seek help. They may fear loss of long term care insurance, drivers license, their career, and more. By the time help is sought - the medications are ineffective and damage has been done to the brain's tissue.
Dale Bresedan, MD (of the Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research at UCLA) helped us understand how the cause of Alzheimer's Disease is changing. They refer to three types and potential causes of the disease, all of which his research shows are curable!
He takes his understanding of the brain back to basic biochemistry. For example, he understands Type 1 A.D. as being an inflammatory condition. He understands Type 3 A.D. as caused by toxicity / heavy metals / etc. In order to attempt correction and restoration of memory he "needs to plug 36 holes in the roof" that refer to optimizing 36 known mediators that feed into our brain's synaptic balance. I was very excited to hear this presentation because in the next several decades I am convinced our understanding of Alzheimer's will be dramatically better!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead
4. In 1900, our top causes of death were: tuberculosis, pneumonia, and diarrhea. In 2000, our top causes of death were: heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Our mortality rate from cardiovascular disease (which is our top killer today) is expected to climb from 17.5 million people to 22.5 million people by 2030.
With our technology and advances, we're finding that we're capable of a much higher life expectancy. But why are the rates of death from diseases corrected by nutrition/lifestyle changes continuing to rise? (Dr. Oscar Franco - "Nutritional Factors in Healthy Aging")
5. The USA is only 4.4% of the worlds population. What percent of the world's drugs do you think we'd consume? I'll bet you didn't guess 52 percent!
We constantly fight against a modern version of malnutrition in this country because of toxicity levels (from our food, our medications, etc) and poor availability of real, non-GMO nutrients. Shockingly, the average modern skeleton is showing 500 - 1,000 times the amount of lead than our pre-industrial ancestors. Detoxification may be even more critical to our health and aging than we know.
Additionally, research shows that when two groups were compared (one following a modified Mediterranean diet and the other group did the same diet PLUS nutritional supplements) that only the group WITH SUPPLEMENTATION was able to boost nutrient levels in at the tissue level. (Dr. Bob Rakowski - "Environmental Toxins are on the Attack!")
Please work with a functional medicine or integrative practitioner to select the highest quality, most effective nutraceuticals for your unique needs!
Thanks all for reading and I hope this tiny snippet of the weekend was both surprising and educational for you! Dr. K.
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly